Thursday, December 21, 2017

EXPRESSING LIKES AND DISLIKES



EXPRESSING LIKES AND DISLIKES
To talk about your likes and dislikes, you can use these expressions.
Expressing likes:...
·         I like…
·         I love...
·         I adore…
·         I ‘m crazy about…
·         I’m mad about…
·         I enjoy…
·         I’m keen on…
Expressing dislikes:...
·         I don’t like…
·         I dislike...
·         I hate…
·         I abhor…
·         I can’t bear...
·         I can’t stand…
·         I detest...
·         I loathe...
 Examples of likes and dislikes :
I'm mad about basketball, but I can’t bear ice hockey.
I adore reading poetry, but I loathe doing the housework.
If you neither like nor dislike something:
"I don't mind doing the housework."



Things to remember about likes and dislikes: 

1. When these expressions are followed by a verb, the latter is put in the -ing form.
Examples:
"I like listening to music."
"I hate wearing sunglasses."
I like
VERB+ING
I detest
I don't mind
2. Note that" very much" & " a lot" always come after the things you like.
Examples:
 "I like basketball very much/a lot. NOT" I like very much/a lot basketball."
3. Be careful when you use "I don't mind..."
Examples:
"Do you mind playing football?"
"No, I don't mind."(Although it's in a negative form, it means that it's ok for me. I neither love it nor hate it.)



Dialogue:
Steve is at home. His girlfriend comes in...Notice how they express their likes and dislikes
Steve:
Hello, darling. Do you fancy watching a film tonight?
Girlfriend:
Oh, no thanks, I don't really feel like watching a film tonight. How about going out instead.
Steve:
OK. Do you feel like going to the theater?
Girlfriend:
Oh, no. I hate it. Do you like eating at the new Chinese restaurant?
Steve:
I don't mind. The Chinese cuisine is alright.
Girlfriend:
Well I really love it. Let's go.

No comments:

Post a Comment